adapted f Cooks Illustrated
- 3 lbs ripe tomatoes, (about 6) cored
- 1 cucumber, peeled, halved and seeded
- 1 green bell pepper, cored and seeded
- 1 small red onion, peeled
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 slice good quality white bread, chopped up
- ½ C. olive oil
- 2 TB. Sherry vinegar
- Optional garnish: avocado
1. Roughly chop tomatoes and cucumber and place in fine mesh strainer over a large bowl. Toss with kosher salt and let sit for 1 hour. While the tomatoes sit, chop the bell pepper, onion and garlic and pile on top of the tomatoes.
2. Transfer vegetables from strainer to blender. Add bread pieces to liquid in bowl and soak for 1-2 minutes. Add bread and any remaining juice to blender as well.
3. Blend all for 2 minutes. With blender running, add olive oil in stream.
4. Blend in vinegar and taste for seasoning.
5. Chill for 2 hours or overnight. (Serve topped with avocado, another drizzle of olive oil, vinegar…)