1 1/2 lbs. ground lamb
1 C. frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
1 C. grated red onion
1 egg, beaten
1/2 C. bread crumbs
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 lemon, zested and juiced, half zest for meatballs and half w juice for orzo
2 handfuls mint and dill, chopped
Kosher salt and pepper
2 TB. olive oil
1 1/2 C. orzo
3 C. chicken broth
1 C. feta cheese
1 pint Cherry tomatoes (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Combine lamb through salt and pepper gently and form into 2 in. meatballs. Handle lightly so as not to compact and make too dense!
3. Heat 2 TB. olive oil in medium sized dutch oven over medium-high heat and cook the meatballs until browned, about 10 min. Remove to a plate.
4. Add the orzo and stir to coat with the oil in the pan. Stir in the broth, scrape up any browned bits from the bottom, add the lemon juice and remaining zest and return the meatballs to the pan.
5. Cover and bake about 30 minutes. Remove lid and check liquid in pan. If the mixture is too dry and the orzo is not cooked, add a splash of water. Sprinkle the feta on top and bake for 10 more minutes with the lid off.
6. Serve with additional herbs sprinkled on top and Greek yogurt if desired. I also threw in some cherry tomatoes for the last 10 minutes of baking!
** I have left the feta out if you are not a fan and the dish was still delicious!