- 1 1/2 C. dark beer
- 1/2 C. cider vinegar
- 2 dried ancho chiles, stemmed, seeded, torn into chunks
- 2 TB. tomato paste
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed and peeled
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 2 tsp. oregano
- 1/2 tsp. cloves
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 2 onions, sliced into thick rounds
- 3 lbs. boneless beef ribs- cut into giant chunks.
1. Heat oven to 325. Combine beer, vinegar, anchos, tomato paste, garlic, bay leaves, cumin, oregano, 2 tsp. salt, 1/2 tsp. pepper, cloves and cinnamon in a dutch oven. Arrange onion slices in single layer. Place beef on top of onions. Cover and cook until meat is browned on top and tender, 3 hrs.
2. Using slotted spoon, transfer beed to a large bowl. Strain liquid through fine mesh strainer into a measuring cup. Transfer solids (onions, etc., discard bay leaves) to a blender. Let strained liquid settle for 5 min. (you can throw it in the fridge), then skim fat off the surface. Add water as needed to equal 1 cup. Pour liquid into blender with reserved solids and blend until smooth. Transfer sauce to empty pot.
3. Shred beef. Pick out any large pieces of fat. Bring sauce to a simmer over medium heat. Add shredded beef and stir to coat. Taste for seasoning.
Lots of options for serving- over cheese grits or polenta, in warmed tortillas w queso fresco and slaw, or add a little ketchup and serve like BBQ sandwiches.